Style Arc’s Judy Knit Top

Last week was rough.  I’m pretty sure the boys were trying to help me feel a little less sad about having to go back to work this week.  But it didn’t work – I’m still missing them like crazy.  Yet I somehow survived my first week back.  To celebrate, tonight I’m going to finish up a top I’ve been working on.  I’m pretty excited about it and can’t wait to share it when it’s done.  For now, though, I’ve got some other projects to share now that I’ve gotten into a routine with the boys and have been able to make some time to sew some evenings after the boys are in bed.

First up, I made the Style Arc Judy Knit Top.  It’s a pretty basic top and, with the help of my serger (Pfaff Coverlock 4852), it went together very quickly.  For the yoke, I used a fabric I purchased somewhere in the L.A. Fashion District in 2012.  For the body, I used a knit I purchased from Joann’s Fabric a while back.  So the top was free!  Well, not really, but it was made from stash fabrics I purchased so long ago that it makes it seem like it was free… (With the reduced amount of time I have for fabric shopping these days, I have a feeling a lot of stash busting is going to be going on.)

I originally made the top with the slits on the sides, per the pattern.  However, I didn’t like that look on me.  So, I cut off the bottom of the shirt at the top of the slits, thinking that would be a nice length.  But then the shirt was too short.  Whoops.  So, I added the band of purple at the hem to lengthen it again.

DSC_0008

I’m not entirely convinced that this shirt is a good look for me, but I think that may have to do more with the fabric choice than the pattern itself.  I may have to try this again with different fabrics.  I tried to be careful with the pattern placement so that I didn’t have any awkward spots highlighted, and I think that worked out fine (thankfully), but I’m still not sure I love the pattern.  Maybe it’ll grow on me.

Even if I don’t end up wearing this shirt much, I did learn a new skill in the making of this shirt – how to use a twin needle.  I don’t know why, but the thought of using a twin needle has always been a little frightening, so I’ve just avoided it up until now.  But I’ve always struggled with hemming knits (since I refuse to rethread my serger into a coverstitch every time I want to hem something and I haven’t yet decided to buy a devoted coverstitch machine, though I’ve certainly thought about it).  This time, I bit the bullet, read the manual, and gave it a go.  It was surprisingly easy to thread, but it took a few attempts to make it look decent (I stretched out one armhole with my first failed attempt).  Once I lessened the tension for the thread and the presser foot, though, it turned out quite nice!  I didn’t end up needing to hem this since I used the purple band at the bottom, but I did use the twin needle to go around the neck band and to finish the armholes.  I still need a bit more practice, but I will definitely be using the twin needle more in the future.  Maybe I don’t need to go out and buy another machine just yet after all (my husband will be thrilled!).