An owl quilt and a Dr. Seuss purse

Amazingly, I’ve managed to finish two projects this week (the three- (er, make that four, since I took yesterday off for a medical appointment) day weekend really helped)!

I decided to do some non-garment sewing, just so I could have some quick satisfaction, requiring no fittings!  (And no fussing to get the just-right wearing-the-garment photos.) Last year, I went on a kick of making coin purses and make-up bags.  I made one such coin purse for my mom, which she loved.  A couple of months ago, she asked me for a new one, and I finally complied.  So, here we have the coin purse (made up in Dr. Seuss fabrics, of course, because what grown woman does not need a Dr. Seuss coin purse?). DSC_0202 The fabric was from my local Pacific Fabrics.

Next, I finally finished a quilt that I had started months ago.  I had gotten the blocks assembled, but needed to do the borders and then decide what to do for the backing and binding.  This weekend I finally got around to doing that.DSC_0210All of the fabric came from my local Joann Fabrics.  The fabric for the squares mostly came from a fat quarter pack that I found, and then I added the browns and the purple used for the border.  I just loved the owl fabric and thought it would make a cute quilt. For the backing, I found a nice teal chevron fabric which highlighted the teals on the front. DSC_0213To quilt it, I just used basic straight-line quilting.  I haven’t tried out free-motion quilting on my new sewing machine yet, and decided this quilt probably wasn’t the best place to start experimenting!  I’ll have to make up some small quilts to do some practicing.

DSC_0227Overall, I’m pretty happy with it.  I do tend to prefer more low volume quilts, but this one is bright and happy, which is a nice change from the dull and dreary winter we’ve been having lately.  I don’t know what I’ll do with it yet, but one can never have too make blankets, right?

And in other exciting news, I received the fabric I ordered from Mood for the Style Arc Ziggi Sew Along being hosted by SewMaris and Stacy Sews.  Very exciting!

DSC_0218I haven’t decided yet whether to make the body mostly black with the colorful fabric used as accents on the sleeves or vice versa.  I ordered enough of both fabrics so I could do either.  I will have to do some playing and imagining to figure out which way to make the jacket.

And finally, I leave you with this face:

DSC_0239editAfter all the recent vet trips I’ve had to make because of this little guy being up to no good, it’s a darn good thing he’s cute.  And utterly loveable.

Knitted hats and broken needles

I have one finished project to write about (almost two!), but I haven’t had any time to take proper pictures.  So, you’ll have to be left in suspense as to how my crazy jeans turned out for just a little bit longer.  I will say, though, that I have worn them and I got a lot of compliments!  So, I’ll say they are a success. In the mean time, I’ve done a fair amount of knitting.  With the Olympics coverage on non-stop in my house, it’s hard to tear myself away and head to the sewing room.  Knitting on the couch has been much easier.  I’m done with the body of my Miette cardigan, and only have to tackle the sleeves and button bands next.  Very exciting.

I’ve also made two hats for the nephews!  (We won’t talk about how overdue these gifts are…) hats I used Lion Brand Tweed Stripes in Ozarka Forest (left) and Woodlands (right).  I made up the pattern as I went and they turned out quite well.  The husband has now requested one made up in his size, though he can’t decide which color he likes best.

hats2

My notes about making these hats are on Ravelry here.

I’ve been on a serious denim kick recently (not helped by every local fabric store having tons of gorgeous colors and styles to choose from every time I walk into them!), so after I finished the crazy jeans (hopefully to be blogged about this weekend), I moved right on to a jean skirt.  Construction of that was going very well, until I tried to tackle the buttonhole…

My machine has a 11(!) different buttonhole options.  But the buttonhole foot is a little different than any I’ve used before.  Maybe that accounts for this…

photo

Whoops.  Or maybe my three-layers of denim were too thick for the needle to handle (though I did use a denim needle!).  I don’t know.  I do know I decided that I needed a break at that point.  But, this should be finished tonight.  So, two new finished projects should make their appearances shortly!